Owning a swimming pool is an incredible experience. It offers a place to beat the heat, and what Floridian doesn’t understand the importance of that? However, it’s also the place where family memories are made. From using it to enjoy birthday parties to celebrating long weekends and everything in between, a pool can be an amazing thing. However, homeowners must understand the importance of pool testing. Sarasota homeowners can trust the experts at Signet Pools to keep their sanctuaries pristine and safe for the entire family.
Why Is Testing Necessary?
Why should Sarasota homeowners worry about pool testing? Simply put, it’s about keeping the pool clean, clear, and safe for use. Over time and through normal use, swimming pools get mucked up. The pH is thrown off by sunscreen and body oils, as well as by Florida’s summertime rain. Mold and algae can also easily take hold, turning what was once a pristine, blue getaway into something much less savory.
Pool testing for Sarasota homeowners ensures that water chemistry is checked and any necessary adjustments are made. Just as only a trusted pool designer in Sarasota should be chosen to build the pool in the first place, homeowners should also turn to experts for pool testing.
What’s Involved in Pool Testing for Sarasota Swimming Pools?
Swimming pools must be regularly tested so that adjustments can be made with minerals and chemicals to keep the water safe for swimmers. In most cases, a pool tester will check for several different things, including:
- Free Chlorine and Total Chlorine – Chlorine helps kill bacteria, mold, and algae. If the level drops too low, the pool will not be safe to swim in.
- Alkalinity – The right pool company in Sarasota will also test the total alkalinity of the pool (hardness) and adjust it when necessary. This is a measure of the pool’s ability to resist quick-onset acidification.
- pH Level – Ideally, a swimming pool will have a pH level of around 7.3 to6. Anything over 7.8 is too alkaline, which affects the performance of chlorine and can even cause skin problems. Under 7.3 and the water is becoming too acidic, and it can etch the pool’s plaster and cause other problems.
- Calcium Hardness – High calcium in pool water creates buildup on the walls and pool equipment. However, if calcium is too low, the water can become too caustic and deteriorate the pool itself.
- Cyanuric Acid – Cyanuric acid is used to stabilize chlorine levels in a swimming pool, slowing the evaporation into the atmosphere. If levels become too high, it is dangerous to swim. The only way to handle this situation is to drain all the water from the pool and refill it.
DIY or Professional Pool Testing in Sarasota?
Today, homeowners can buy test strips, kits, and other necessities for maintaining their pool from most pool supply stores. This allows them to test their pools and maintain them on their own. Is that better than working with a professional, though? At Signet Pool, we believe in empowering our customers, but we also understand how difficult it can be to understand water test results.
Our recommendation is that pool owners work with a professional unless they are completely sure they understand their test results. In addition, pool owners need to understand the implications of over/under levels of chemicals and minerals in their pool water. It’s directly related to health, safety, and continued enjoyment of their swimming pools for years to come.
For our customers who aren’t sure they’re ready to handle their pool maintenance, we’re proud to offer customizable maintenance plans. That includes pool testing, but we’ll also adjust chemical and mineral levels to keep the water safe and healthy for the entire family. We recommend testing every week, but we’re happy to come up with a customized plan based on your usage needs and the time of year (you can usually test every two weeks during the winter/off-season, for instance).
Work with a Trusted Pool Expert
Whether homeowners throughout Sarasota and surrounding areas are new to pool ownership or are unsure about testing and accurately interpreting the results, we work with them to keep their pools pristine all year long. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our testing and treatment plans!